The Hackney Children and Young People’s Service (see the beginning of Section 5.7) commissions the Hackney Young Carers Project which supports carers aged 8-18 years. The service provides:
- a young carers needs assessment
- personal support, advice and guidance
- individual and group support
- trips and activities during school holidays
- help to access specialist services and universal services (such as leisure and youth services).
The project works with around 150 young carers at any one time. In addition, school support groups reach around another 100 young carers in Hackney.
In the City of London, personalised and integrated support is offered to young carers by the City’s Children and Families Team, tailored to their needs and aspirations.